New online writers must realize that web content writing is not just simply tapping away on the keyboard. You do not simply put anything and everything together and expect it to get the traffic as it is supposed to. It takes some amount of thinking and effort to write good web articles.
Why is it important to improve your web copy? Good writing for the web has two objectives: to elevate search engine rankings and to attract attention (and web traffic). Here are some tips to help you improve your writing skills to produce the best articles which will achieve these:
1. In web writing, saying less is saying more. Keep your writing as concise as possible. Say what you mean and never beat around the bush. Make sure that you do not simply go on and on with the things you want to say. Remember that your main concern would be to hold the interest of your readers while making sure that the information you are writing about gets through.
2. Do not add flowery words. If you think that flowery or highfaluting words sound interesting and make you appear more intelligent, then you are wrong. In web writing, flowery words tend to confuse readers and you run the risk of losing them along the way. Remember that you are writing to empower, and not to impress.
3. The use of headlines and subheads do miraculous things to your web copy. Headlines attract the most attention and encourage the readers to read the subsequent text. Subheads, on the other hand, break the long blocks of text into a smaller, more readable and less intimidating paragraphs. They also give a content summary of the paragraph, which makes it easier for readers to scan through the text contents.
4. New web writers must learn to follow a consistent web writing style that produces articles that are professional looking. This style should strictly use short sentences and stick to a page formatting where there is only a maximum of 65 characters per line. The best and most readable article formats include tips lists, how to’s, or question and answers. Always make appropriate introduction and summary to complete each article.
5. Of course, the last tip in improving the quality and content of your articles is to proofread, proofread and proofread. Do not simply rely on spell and grammar checks. Edit your content and remove unnecessary or wimpy words, as well as wordy phrases. If possible, have someone else read your work and make comments. Do not just concentrate on the possible grammar errors, but also check the consistency, general flow and the contents of your article.
Making the best articles for the web takes some time and practice. It is with experience that you will learn more about the style of writing that will work best for you and your readers. For now, try to follow these tips and do your best to come up with the best web content that you can.